Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dicing Green Peppers!


First, take your green pepper, place it on its side on the board and chop off the top and bottom ends! If you want a true julienne, discard the ends now. Note: the top of the green pepper is a ring! If you don't want pips/seeds everywhere, be sure your cut off bit looks like this!


Next, take the knife tip and slice down the flesh on one side! See?:


Again, note how the stem end is basically all still in the green pepper?!
Lay the pepper down and slide the knife along and cut the core away from the sides, think of opening a letter or of carefully unwrapping a present. If you do it right, all those pips will stay on the core and you won't have to pull them off by hand!


Once done, you'll have this:


Now, I don't discard the top and bottom, I dice them up. Note: you can see that I cut the top off in such away that the stem is left on the core. I just slice it in half and then slice that up as is. The bottom, I cut hash: across one way, 90 degree turn and across the other!


Next: take the fleshy outside and cut it into strips: [julienne: cut the strips matchstick thick!]


Then I arrange them into lots I can manage with the knife. I butt them up against the knife blade to make them straight. This just makes it easier to hold the pile together when chopping. Typically I won't arrange them into piles like this but just pull a bunch chop and keep the rest off to the side. But I thought you could see my pile size.


And there you go, diced green pepper!

1 comment:

Go ahead and write something! I do want to hear what you think, after all, that's how I learn too!