Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another Way to Dice an Onion!


I realize by now you have probably seen a million ways to chop this root vegetable, and quite frankly many of you find it very easy to just food processor the tear-jerker! Truth be told, it takes me longer to pull out the food processor than it does to chop an onion by hand. And I love, love, love the results of a hand diced onion!

Here is how I do the deed:

[oh, and I've had loads and loads of practice, I used to work at a pizzeria and one of my jobs was to prepare the nights worth of onions!]

First, slice off the root and shoot ends:

Then, place one cut end on the board and cut right down the middle:


Now lay the latest cut side down and peel off the skin layer:


Now, slice horizontally across the onion, going from root to stem end. If you separate it looks like below once cut, if you were to separate the onion the pieces would look like little rainbows.


Next, shove the pieces back together, okay in real life don't even take them apart! Rotate the onion 90 degrees so that the root or stem end is facing you. Now you are going to cut across the onion the opposite way. Here is the key! The first two cuts must be at an angle. The first one rather severe, and the second one slightly less, the third cut can be straight up and down.


Note: in my hands were posed so I could take the picture, naturally I wouldn't be keeping my fingers there, but I do keep them as pictured below!

Keep dicing until you have a wee bit of a piece left, as pictured below:


Take that piece, and lay it so that the longest side is flat on the cutting board:


Now dice that bit too, it should be easy!


There you go, one nicely diced onion. Not quite fancy restaurant quality, but good enough :) !

1 comment:

Go ahead and write something! I do want to hear what you think, after all, that's how I learn too!