Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hot Chocolate

A nice cup of Hot Chocolate

For years I was convinced that the only way you could make hot chocolate was by purchasing mix and microwaving a cup of milk and then adding the powder to the milk once it was hot. Last year, for some reason I ran out of the mix and I just had to have hot chocolate! It had been a hard cold morning of shoveling snow and I deserved my payment! Imagine my surprise and admitted embarrassment when I realized how quick, painless and inexpensive it is to make a nice cuppa Hot Chocolate, from scratch!

Naturally I can't leave you in the same situation I was, so here is how Betty Canuck makes her Hot Chocolate!

Betty Canuck's Hot Chocolate:
~serves 1 adult & 3 children~

4 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cocoa powder (or more!)
1 tsp vanilla extract (inexpensive kind is just fine!)

Its time to make hot chocolate! Sugar and Cocoa powder

First, measure the sugar and cocoa powder into your sauce pan. If you are particular about lumps, pass the cocoa powder through a mesh sieve first. I'm not particularly worried! Once you have done that, stir the two ingredients together.

Then add the milk and place on medium high to high heat. IF you have 3 impatient children, place on high heat and stir frequently to prevent burning. This will cause frothing!

Stirred and heating

The frothing will eventually stop once the milk gets hot enough. Try not to let your milk boil!

Place into warmed cups, top with liberal amounts of whipping cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and write something! I do want to hear what you think, after all, that's how I learn too!